Going On a Jungle Safari!
This half term we are learning about:
- How to write a letter and explain what has happened in a story.
- How to use globes and atlases to find different countries.
- How to use a map to help find a destination.
- How to write a diary of children in Africa.
- How children in Africa live differently to those in England.
- How to re create a story using story maps.
- How to write a character description focusing on their looks and feelings.
- How to create and sew their own animal finger puppets.
- Different animals in their habitats.
- Different animals and the safari food chains.
- How to write an invitation to an event.
- How to write and follow instructions to make a fruit smoothie.
- How to compare different oceans of the world and explore use of colours.
- How to research and write a fact file.
- How to write setting descriptions based on a story they are reading.
- How to write a review about their trip to Yorkshire Wildlife Park.
- How to write rhyming couplets.
- How to begin using speech bubbles in their writing.
- How to explore and evaluate projects.
- How living closer to the equator effects weather in different countries.
The children will be:
- Investigating what has happened to Handa and the stolen fruit.
- To research and taste a variety of fruits from the story Handa’s Surprise.
- Creating and later evaluating their own fruit smoothie.
- Designing their own fruit basket.
- Going on an adventure to an elephant habitat, using their map skills to find the destination.
- Making their own animal finger puppets.
- Thinking about what equipment they would need to go onto a jungle safari. What vehicles would they drive? What animals would they encounter?
- Imagining what it would be like for a child their age living in Africa.
- Creating a fact file on Africa.
- Going to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park to learn about and see different animals.
- Imagining they are roaming through a jungle.
- Designing and selling their own Elmer styled coats.
- Independently creating and writing their own story using their imagination.
- Excited to learn the song of the half term is The Circle of Life.
- Excited for the parental involvement day of sewing Elmer a larger patchwork quilt.
You can help your child at home by:
- Listening to your child read on a regular basis and asking questions about the book.
- Encouraging your children to practise writing sentences or stories using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops.
- Helping your child to learn their tricky and high frequency words.
- Talking to your child about the environment they live in and how it is different from other places.
- Asking about what they have learnt that day to recap their learning.
This week the children have been learning about the character Handa. They received a letter from her which asked the children to help her solve the problem. All her fruit had been stolen and she didn't know who had taken them! The animals in the story had all taken the fruit. The children wrote fantastic letters describing what had happened in the story.
The children had chance to try the exotic fruit in the story we thought hard about using different adjective to describe them. The children then sketched and wrote about their favourite fruit! Super year 1!
Where does Handa live?
This week in geography the children have studied maps atlas' and globes to find out about where in the world Handa live. We found out where Africa is and that it is a large continent. We looked at the difference between England and Africa and how long it would take to travel. They learnt Africa is a continent and is made up of 57 countries. We also learnt some facts about the country Kenya where Handa is from.
In RE the children have been learning about the days of the week and why they are special to them. We shared stories about what we do on different days. We discussed our favourite days and gave reasons why. They showed good listening and thought about their friends ideas. The children will be learning about special religious days and why they maybe special to different people.
The children had a surprise visit from Handa! They asked her lots of questions about where she lived and what her life was like. They then wrote questions about what they would like to find out about Handa.
The children pretended that they were Handa themselves and wrote a diary about her life. they included her thoughts feeling and lots of facts about what they have learnt about after meeting Handa.
Following on from learning about the life of an African child the children have created their own African story using ideas from the Story Handa's surprise. They worked together to choose a character and setting. we thought of ways to describe the setting to make their stories exciting.
This week in Science the children have been predicting whether a piece of fruit will sink or float in a tub of cold water. We found out that the peel can affect if the fruit will sink or float. We recorded the result in a table after testing both peeled and unpeeled fruit from the story Handa’s Surprise.
This week during RE the children have been learning about the Jewish celebrating Shabbat. The children watched a video showing how a family celebrated Shabbat. They learnt that they rested on on the Saturday and it is a time to celebrate with family. The children enjoyed learning about another religion. Well done Year 1.
This week in PSHE have been discussing feelings. The children matched different types of the emotion. We ordered emotions thinking about different intensity of emotions. We discussed different situations what the children felt these emotions. The children discussed ways that they might be able to help themselves and others with these feelings. We talked about contrasting emotions. Super year 1!
After learning the names and locations of the 7 continents in the world the children went outside. They played a game of standing on the continent that was called out. They had lots of fun and were able to remember the locations on the map. The children used chalk to label the continents. We talked about what is is like and looked at images and maps from around the world.
the children have been on an adventure. Handa sent a letter to the children that she had heard crying in the jungle and wanted to help. We went on a hunt in the school playground to find the noice. we imagined that we had flown to africa and landed in Handas house. The children did some fantastic acting outside thinking about how they would be feeling. We then came across a elephant who was upset. We learnt from reading the book Elmer about why he was upset.
After learning about Elmer and the other elephants and how he wanted to be like all the other elephants, the children though of ways they could be good friends. We thought of what made good friends and how it made them feel. The children then wrote recipes on how to be a good friend. They were super excited about how the potion is made fizzed and bubbled. What imaginative idea for you potion year 1!
Computing- Lego Builders!
This week the children have been learning about algorithms. An ‘algorithm’ is a precise, step-by-step set of instructions used to solve a problem or achieve an objective. They learnt that to achieve the effect they want when building something, they need to follow accurate instructions. The children paired up to build Lego models and found out how clear they had to be with their instructions. Well done year 1 fantastic team work!
This week the children have been think of big feeling and how they can help themselves and others. We listened to the to the story Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers and thought about the characters thoughts and feelings. The children we really conciderate of others feeling and though of time when others might feel similar feeling. They discuss ways they can help others. We then discuss the picture First Flight.
The children have been writing character descriptions about Elmer. We though of interesting adjective and noun phrase to describe what he looked like and what kind of elephant he is. The children used the ideas from the story really well. Fantastic year 1!