All Around the World
The books we are using throughout our adventure:
- My grandma went to market
- The Snail and the Whale
This half term we are learning about:
- Chinese New Year; who celebrates it, what people who celebrate this festival believe and how people celebrate this festival
- A variety of textiles and how they are made
- Where the UK is in relation to the rest of the world
- The physical and human features of the UK and compare them to Mexico City
- How to weave their own magic carpet
- How to write an advert
- How to write a set if instructions
- The different animals in the animal kingdom and how they are classified
- How to write a recount
- How to use a compass for directions
- How to describe and compare the structure of animals
- Daily weather patterns in the UK and how they compare to other countries
- How to create drawings based on observations
The children will be:
- Going on an imaginary adventure to visit other countries around the world (e.g. New Mexico and China)
- Creating their own magic carpets out of different materials
- Celebrating Chinese New Year
- Tasting food from other cultures
- Creating art work based on other cultures from around the world
- Taking part in Chinese dragon dancing
- Hot seating various story characters
- Creating their own weather report videos
- Setting up an around the world restaurant
- Going to Middleton Woods to observe the human and physical features in the local area
You can help your child by:
- Listening to your child read on a regular basis and asking questions about the book
- Practising the spellings in your child’s spelling book
- Supporting your child with their weekly homework
- Encouraging your children to practise writing sentences or stories using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops
- Helping your child to learn their tricky and high frequency words
This week the children have been imagining that they are travelling the world. They have created art work based on different cultures. Today we went on an exciting adventure. The children imagined they were boarding a aeroplane, They each got a boarding pass and to the aeroplanes safety instructions making sure their seat belts were fastened before setting fight. We landed in Istanbul and explored the streets, beach and a Mosque when we arrived. Each of the children made passports
This week in Geography the children have been learning about physical and human features. They learnt what each term meant and then sorted pictures into human and physical features. They then looked at human and physical features in Leeds. They looked at maps and atlases to find out about where we lived.
Today the children have been using Boomwackers. The children loved using the tuned instrument to make different sounds and practiced hitting them to a beat. We will be experimenting with the instrument throughout the term.
This week the children have been investigating and evaluating different textiles. They compared how materials are made in the UK and around the world. The children sorted a range of materials into different categories to say whether they had been knitted, woven or felted. They have been looking closely at the Indian weaving technique as we are going to be weaving our own Flying carpets.
This week in maths the children have been practically using a variety of objects to measure length and height. We have been learner new vocabulary to compare lengths by discussing and making estimations about which are shortest, longest, tallest. The children had great fun using objects as units of measure. Well done!
This week we went on an Imagineering journey and pretended that we were walking down a busy street in Mexico city. We were able to describe what we saw and imagine what it might be like to live there. We used our five senses to help us write a setting description of Mexico city.
This week in PHSE the children have been thinking about responsibilities and who's responsibility it is to look after things. We through of lots of different responsibilities and thought about whose role it was to do these things. We then watched a video about a little girl who's has the responsibility of caring for her pet dog. The children went to draw what responsibilities they have.
This week we are learning all about Chinese New Year and have been talking and writing about the different customs and traditions they have. The children have enjoyed learning new facts about the celebration. We made lanterns and also had a lesson about making a noodle salad. The children talked about why it is important to wash our hands and learnt new techniques. They learnt how to hold a knife properly when cooking by using the claw and the bridge technique. They did the preparation of the vegetables really carefully and enjoyed trying new and interesting food.
This week the children have thought about when it is easy or difficult to make friends. We thought about how Abbey the owl might be feeling in our class and how we could show her how to be a good friend. We watched animations of Bible stories and thought about when Jesus found it easy or hard to be friends. We thought how Jesus is viewed as Human as well as the son of God so might not always be friends with everyone but tries his best to show kindness to others.
This week the children have been learning about the groups of animals in the animal kingdom. the children first thought about the different animals then grouped them into different groups. They learnt what reptiles, mammals , amphibians, birds, fish and insects are. The children worked in groups to discuss the features and think about which group each went into to. There was some fantastic discuss. Well done!
The children have been learning about different diets of animals. We thought about what animals each and why they might each different food. We discussed the similarities and differences between diets. The children then learnt the new terms omnivore, carnivore and herbivore. The children then went on a hunt in the playground. We found boxes with facts, pictures and clues about what the animal eat. the children had to guess what the animal might be.We then sorted the animals into whether they were omnivores, carnivores or herbivores.
This week the children have been learning about directions. We explored maps on the computer and discussed how to navigate. We noticed something called a compass and spotted that this was also in books and the map in our classroom. We discussed what each word could mean. We then went outside to play a game of corners moving to north,south, east and west. The children did really well and realised that north west would be in between the two corners! It was great fun!
Year 6 visited the year 1 classroom this week. The children had fun learning about what the other year group have been learning about. We shared our learning adventure books and talked about the favourite pieces of learning. We shared what we had found out with the rest of the group! Fantastic!
This week the children have been weaving using wool and a cardboard loom. The children have discussed there achievements and what went well. We discuss things that they have found tricky and what they could do better next time. I have been so impressed with how hard they have tried the class have shown great determination.
Around the World Feast
To celebrate the end of term the children had a end of year feast. We throughout about different cuisines around the world. We watched how they traditionally made pizza in Italy. The children then listen to Italian music and imagined they were in a pizza restaurant whilst trying some pizza. We learnt thank you (Grazie) and please (Per favoure) in Italian and used the phrases when the pizza was handed out. Well done Year 1!