Welcome to 2SL
The Odd Egg
We came back after the holidays to find an odd egg in the playground! Where has it come from? What might be inside?!
In writing we are learning:
- to form all letters correctly
- to use more punctuation e.g. exclamation marks, question marks and commas in lists of words
- to continue to vary the connectives we use to extend sentences and develop ideas
- to use adjectives and nouns to describe in more detail.
- to spell Year 2 common exception words correctly
We will be writing stories, character descriptions, letters, instructions, reports and recounts!
In maths we are learning:
- to know and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 tables
- to understand the place value of numbers including tens and units
-to measure the capacity of containers and use scales
-to name and describe 2D and 3D shapes, how they relate together and to find them in our environment
-to solve problems involving money including giving change
In reading we are learning:
- to continue to use different strategies to read words
- to describe features of non-fiction texts e.g. contents page, titles, and compare these to fiction texts
- to retell stories and explain why things have happened
- to make predictions about what they think will happen as well as explain how characters may be feeling and why
- to answer questions and find evidence in the text to support their answers
Books we are reading in class:
- The Odd Egg
- George’s Marvellous Medicine
- The Dragon Snatcher
-From Egg to Chicken
-I Want my Hat Back
We will be beginning our new topics in History, Geography and Science.
In History we are starting our topic, 'The Great Fire of London.' I think it is something the children are all going to find interesting and enjoy learning about.
Parents are welcome to come and visit our classroom to take a look at the super topic work that will be displayed as we begin to get creative and inspired in our learning.
Things to remember
Please bring your child’s PE kit into school on Monday to be kept in school all week.
Your child’s PE kit should include:
Please return books along with your child's signed reading record every Thursday so your child can receive a new book every Friday.
Friday 3rd February – Staff INSET day (school closed)
Friday 10th February – Staff INSET day (school closed) and break up for half term
Monday 20th February – back to school