In a kingdom far away…
The books we are using throughout our adventure:
- The Princess and The Wizard
- The Queen’s Hat
This half term we are learning:
- How to write a persuasive letter
- How to write instructions when making potions and magic spells
- About the current royal family, royal weddings and royal coronations
- How to write a newspaper article
- How to create a printing block when making stamps and coats of arms
- About the features of a defensive castle and what they were used for
- Where London is on a map and what some of its famous landmarks are
- About ‘Buckingham Palace’ and what sort of people live and work there
- About our own bodies focusing on specific parts and learning about our senses
- How to write a character description
- How to write a setting description
- What number bonds facts are and how they can help us with maths
- How to add and subtract numbers using a range of apparatus
The children will be:
- Designing, building and evaluating their own castle- incorporating a moving element
- Writing a wish list to their fairy godmother
- Making their own stamps and shields
- Making their own potions and watching the changes that occur when different ingredients are added
- Making their own swords and crowns
- Hot seating the princess during her kidnapping
- Role playing the queens coronation day
- Having their own royal street party/ afternoon tea
- Baking cakes and buns for the princess’s birthday party
You can help your child by:
- Listening to your child read on a regular basis and asking questions about the book
- Practising the spellings in your child’s spelling book
- Supporting your child with their weekly homework
- Encouraging your children to practise writing simple sentences using capital letters and full stops
- Helping your child to learn their tricky and high frequency words
A Missing Princess!
This week the children found a missing person advert. The children worked out that it was a princess who has been kidnapped. The children recieved a phone call from the Queen and she described the person who had kidnapped her daughter.The children then wrote a character description when creating wanted posters to help the police catch the evil wizard.
Talking to the Princess...
This week the children put on their imaginary hats and they pretended to travel to the wizards castle to speak to Princess Eliza. The children worked together to think of really good questions that they would like to find out answers to about the princess and her capture. The children used these questions when hot seating the princess to gather information about her day to day duties as the wizards prisoner. The children used the princess's responses to write their own diary entries.
Creating a potion to turn the wizard...